POEMS BY ONE MICAIAH
I guess OneMicaiahPhobia should probably be the fear of One Micaiah, provided a phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, defined by a persistent fear of an object or situation. Please read on for a short list of other kinds of phobias around the world.
- Arachnophobia is the fear of spiders.
- Entomophobia is the fear of bugs and insects. Also known as insectophobia with more specific cases like apiphobia (fear of bees) and myrmecophobia (fear of ants).
- Scoleciphobia is the fear of worms. Also known as Vermiphobia.
- Ophidiophobia is the fear of snakes. About a third of adult humans are ophidiophobic, making this the most common reported phobia.
- Cynophobia is the fear of dogs. Its onset is found in school-aged and adolescent children, and at a high percentage in women than men.
- Ornithophobia is the fear of birds. Some birds can be loud, large and menacing, and they can demonstrate little fear of humans.
- Alektorophobia is the fear of chickens.
- Ailurophobia is the fear of cats. Other name, felinophobia.
- Acrophobia is the fear of heights. Approximately two percent of the general population suffers from acrophobia, with twice as many women affected as men.
- Agoraphobia is the fear of open or crowded spaces. The cause of agoraphobia is a combination of genetic and environmental factors. The condition often runs in families and stressful events such as the death of a parent or being attacked may be a trigger.
- Claustrophobia is the fear of small spaces like elevators, small rooms and other enclosed spaces. It can be triggered by many situations or stimuli, including elevators crowded to capacity, windowless rooms, and even tight-necked clothing.
- Thanatophobia is the fear of death. It is during the years of young adulthood (20 to 40 years of age) that death anxiety most often begins to become prevalent.
- Pyrophobia is the fear of fire. This phobia is ancient and primordial, perhaps since mankind’s discovery of fire.
- Taphophobia is the fear of being buried alive by mistake and waking up in a coffin underground. Fear of being buried alive was elaborated to the extent that those who could afford it would make all sorts of arrangements for the construction of a safety coffin to ensure this would be avoided (e.g., glass lids for observation, ropes to bells for signaling, and breathing pipes for survival until rescued).
- Astraphobia is the fear of thunder/lightning aka Brontophobia, Tonitrophobia, Ceraunophobia.
- Glossophobia is the fear of public speaking. It is important that the speaker not attempt to get rid of their nervousness because all the extra energy received from nerves can actually be used to enliven the speech.
- Anthropophobia is the fear of people. It is an extreme, pathological form of shyness and timidity.
- Somniphobia is the fear of sleep. It can be caused by the fear of nightmares or sleep paralysis.
- Phobophobia is the fear of fear. It is a bridge between anxiety/panic the patient might be experiencing and the type of phobia he/she fears, creating an intense and extreme predisposition to the feared phobia.
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia – The fear of long words.
I think I’m Claustrophobic and maybe Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. wtf right!
So what do you fear? Kindly share your phobias.
Mikaiah Sunday Oyepintemi also known as One Micaiah is a Medical Laboratory Science graduate of the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos, a writer of poems and short stories and a lover of life. He is a believer of love and true friendship. Writing, to him, is the only way he can speak without talking. He hopes to write and publish as many books as he can, while alive. He looks forward to meeting new friends too. Please follow him on Twitter