SATURDAY NIGHTS WITH SPARKS
I grew up in an ALL GIRLS home, where my dad was the only man in the house. I have 5 sisters and no brother, a GIRLS HOSTEL you may say. I keep hearing people ask;
a) Who will carry your father’s name?
b) You will go to your husband’s house and become a housewife, why are you working? Some go as far as saying, your dad isn’t man enough for not producing a male child but I shake my head and marvel at their level of stupidity.
Interestingly, I got admitted to the university to study Chemical Engineering. We had over 200 guys and only 6 girls. I was asked countless times what I was doing in a “man’s world” but I held my head high, stayed up night after night struggling with engineering drawings. I made a Second class, Upper by God’s grace and I am still aspiring; from a chemical engineer to an immigration officer, to a banker.
Today, I encourage everyone of us;
- To raise daughters, who can hold their own in the society.
- To raise sons who will see women as partners/colleagues and not commodities.
- To raise daughters who will be financially independent and not sit idly waiting for their father’s will or their husband’s money.
- To support equality in the workplace.
- To support girls’ education.